Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sabahan workin in Miri, Now In KL
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

    Hi Guys,
    Thinking of buying one teleconverter for my Nikkor 18-200 mm VR lens but not sure which one to buy, the tamron 2X or the Nikkor 1.7X. Any advise from the members is much apprecated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,556
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    I can only say that it is not recommended by the "sifu" to use a TC on a high power slow zoom like your 18-200mm.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    it not compatible.... and no need for 18-200 nikon coz it a DX format..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    I don't think the 18-200 VR is compatible with any teleconverter. The rear lens element will protrude into the TC element and get damaged.

    With max aperture of f/5.6 at the tele end, you won't have enough light for your AF to work properly once you factor in the light loss resulting from adding on a TC as well.

    Cheers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    48,343
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 706 Times in 597 Posts

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    Teleconverter cannot be fitted to the 18-200mm. Period!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    the problem with nikon is that not all neekon lense can use the nikon teleconverters . technical or marketing reasons only nikon knows. so come third parties with metering, AF even VR function working.

    example with the old 80-400mm VR lense the metering , AF(very slow) and VR works with the 1.4X teleplus pro 300 teleconverters.

    so tried with the 18-200 VR. with the following results

    VR- OK
    metering - OK
    AF-OK still as fast

    and the pics with 1 min of PS still good to my old tired eyes.

    without the 1.4X at 200mm


    with the 1.4X at 200mm (i guess this is equivalent to 280mm)


    third parties do not report their presence to the body.

    cheers

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sabahan workin in Miri, Now In KL
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    Quote Originally Posted by mirebus
    the problem with nikon is that not all neekon lense can use the nikon teleconverters . technical or marketing reasons only nikon knows. so come third parties with metering, AF even VR function working.

    example with the old 80-400mm VR lense the metering , AF(very slow) and VR works with the 1.4X teleplus pro 300 teleconverters.

    so tried with the 18-200 VR. with the following results

    VR- OK
    metering - OK
    AF-OK still as fast

    and the pics with 1 min of PS still good to my old tired eyes.

    third parties do not report their presence to the body.

    cheers
    A bit confuse here, other members say I cannot fit the teleconverter to the 18-200 mm VR, but you said otherwise + tested it . From the results, still acceptable results. Am I missing something here... help please.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff7669
    A bit confuse here, other members say I cannot fit the teleconverter to the 18-200 mm VR, but you said otherwise + tested it . From the results, still acceptable results. Am I missing something here... help please.
    well the results speak for itself. my 18-200 VR is made in thailand and from a later series bought just before raya. maybe those made in japan has a different back end assembly for production reasons. and the kenko pro 300 1.4X is made for nikon glasses.

    goto a shop which has a kenko pro 300 and bring your lense and body. if look OK test it. take care not to meet glass with glass.... ouch.

    i will test the kenko 2X teleconverter soon though not expecting great results.

    cheers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sabahan workin in Miri, Now In KL
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    Quote Originally Posted by mirebus
    well the results speak for itself. my 18-200 VR is made in thailand and from a later series bought just before raya. maybe those made in japan has a different back end assembly for production reasons. and the kenko pro 300 1.4X is made for nikon glasses.

    goto a shop which has a kenko pro 300 and bring your lense and body. if look OK test it. take care not to meet glass with glass.... ouch.

    i will test the kenko 2X teleconverter soon though not expecting great results.

    cheers
    Thank You..my 18-200 VR also made in Thailand, so will certainly look for the teleconverter and I'am realy looking forward with your test with Kenko 2.0X. Again, thank you for your help.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    Quote Originally Posted by mirebus
    well the results speak for itself. my 18-200 VR is made in thailand and from a later series bought just before raya. maybe those made in japan has a different back end assembly for production reasons. and the kenko pro 300 1.4X is made for nikon glasses.

    goto a shop which has a kenko pro 300 and bring your lense and body. if look OK test it. take care not to meet glass with glass.... ouch.

    i will test the kenko 2X teleconverter soon though not expecting great results.

    cheers
    that means u can use the kenko 1.4x TC for 18-200mm VR lens...
    that good.. im thinking getting to have 1 oso.. so the apeture will drop 1 stop?? 5.6 -> 6.3?? izzit??

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Teleconverter for 18-200 mm Nikkor VR

    manage to get down to do the "test" with the Kenko Teleplus 300 pro 1.4x and the 2.0X non DG version. The DG version is suppose to be better. light falloff is due to uneven lighting from a single fluorescent study lamp.


    the 18-200 VR at 200mm




    add the 1.4X teleconverter




    add the 2.0X teleconverter




    and lastly the stack 1.4X with 2.0X to give equivalent of 2.8X teleconverter.
    the blurr maybe from the camera shake or OOF or both. this is only to show that the teleconverters can be stacked as per canon's 1.4X and 2X extenders.





    judge for yourself whether the image is acceptable to you.

    cheers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best teleconverter (2x) for 18-200mm VR
    By chesslanka in forum Nikon
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 05:21 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 04:14 PM
  3. Question about 2x Teleconverter
    By ahleong1 in forum Nikon
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
  4. Teleconverter for AFS 80-200/2.8...
    By bast3k in forum Nikon
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 06:57 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-03-2006, 06:34 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •