Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Malaysia - A Failed Nation

Thanks

Malaysia - A Failed Nation

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

Hi All,

This is from an email I receive.
    Please do note these are not my writings and not my stand.
    I thought this would be an interesting topic and also it's good to lift our eyes away from that viewfinder once in a while...

If this posting is considered offensive/political then I wouldn't mind removing it.

Good morning all,

Those who started work around 1973,
    a 1.3 Litre Japanese car was RM 7,000
    Today the equivalent let's say it is RM 60,000...........8.5 times

In 1973 a double storey house was about RM 45,000..or less
    Today it is about RM 300,000............6.6 times

In 1973 an Engineer's pay was RM 1,000
    Today it is about RM 2,000 +/-............2 times....

From 1973 to 2008........35 years......what is the Trend.?
    Bearish !!!!
    In a stock market when the trend is bearish , what do we do?..Exit !!!

When a country's trend is bearish what do we do?
    This Bearish trend is more difficult to turn around as compared to the
    stock market.

I have used these 3 items House, Car & Salary as a measurement of the country' s
    performance for the past 35 years....

There is a book I saw in MPH bookshop entitled :
    Malaysia: The Failed Nation
    some of you may be interested to read up.

I agreed with the writer.....

This morning I was having Coffee at McDonald ( now the coffee..100 %
    Arabica beans..is quite good@ RM 2.90....free refill !!. I asked how
    much per hour is their pay?
    RM 3.00 ! x 8 hours = RM 24 per day... x 25 days = RM 600 per month
    My daughter works part-time during her University days..she worked at
    Gloria Jeans Coffee
    ..the pay Australian $ 14.00 ( @ 3.15 = RM 44 per hour.....x 8 = RM
    352 per day !!! x 25 days = RM 8,800

13.3 times more !!!!! ......Price of houses in Perth is about the same in KL
    Price of cars are about 23 % cheaper...in Perth. ( Australia )

I think more and more people are becoming aware of this Bearish trend.
    Developed country by 2020?...means High income country
    Let's look at some as of year 2005 ( Financial Times )
    USA GNP per capita US$ 35,400
    UK GNP per capita US$ 25,510
    Australia GNP per capita US$ 19,530
    Singapore GNP per capita US $ 20,690
    These are developed countries by income measurement

Malaysia GNP per capita US$ 3,540
    Year 2020..developed country?

Really...a sad story.

Worrying Trends, isn't it??

Ringgit sliding further and further under BN

Gan | Jul 8, 2008 4:03pm

Recently, I interviewed some fresh graduates applying for jobs with my
    engineering company. I accepted two applicants on a starting salary of
    RM1,600. It struck me as odd that 15 years ago, I myself started work
    as a fresh graduate engineer for the same pay.

Indeed, if you compare the salaries of graduates now and 15 or even 20
    years ago, you'll find little difference but that their purchasing
    power is vastly different. It's the same story when you compare
    salaries of shop assistants, office staff, factory workers and others.

To compound the effect of inflation, the ringgit has depreciated
    greatly against all major currencies. The real income of most
    Malaysians has moved backwards.

This is why many Malaysians suffer under the petrol hike. The root of
    the problem is that our real incomes have shrunk in the face of
    inflation and depreciated currency.. Malaysians have not been spoiled
    by subsidy but are unable to move out of the time lock of stagnated
    and depreciated incomes.

If you compare the per capita incomes of Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan
    and South Korea, they are a few multiples of ours although at
    independence all these countries were the on the same economic level
    as Malaysia.

What has gone wrong? We were the rising star of East Asia, a country
    rich in natural resources with the most promising potential.

The reason is massive corruption, plundering of resources, wastage of
    funds for huge non- economic projects, anti-public interest deals with
    politically-linked companies and passing-of-the -buck to the man in
    the street..

Four decades of NEP where education, economic and employment policies
    are defined by race ensured that meritocracy took a back seat.

Our university standard has declined and the today best and brightest
    of our youth emigrate to escape the racial inequality only to
    contribute to the economies of foreign lands.

The reputation of our judiciary which was held in high esteem
    worldwide has sunk so low that foreign investors now insist on
    arbitration in Singapore in case of any dispute.

We also have a slew of oppressive laws such as the ISA, OSA, Uuca and
    PPPA which stifle free speech and are designed to keep the ruling
    parties in power.

We have become less attractive to foreign investors and now lag behind
    our neighbours in Asean for foreign direct investment. Even some
    corporations who have established themselves here are moving out.

All the economic and social malaise cannot help but affect the value
    of our currency. The strength of a country's currency is after all, a
    reflection of its fundamentals.

Furthermore, Bank Negara has a policy of weak ringgit to help
    exporters, never mind the burden on the common folk. The government is
    pro-corporation, not pro-rakyat.

While the poor and middle-class are squeezed, an elite group gets
    breathtakingly rich. We have the distinction of having the worse
    income disparity in Asean. A re-distribution of wealth is under way
    from the poor and middle-class to a select group of
    politically-connected elite.

The end result of this re-distribution will be a small group of
    super-rich while the majority are pushed into poverty and the
    middle-class shrinks. This is what happens when the rich gets richer
    and the poor gets poorer.

There is much that is wrong with Malaysia. The responsibility for
    pulling the country backwards can be laid squarely at the door of the
    ruling regime. It is BN's mis-governance, racial politics and culture
    of patronage which has seen the country regress economically and
    socially.

We seem to be sliding down a slippery slope, further down with each
    passing year of BN's rule. Another five years of BN rule and we'll be
    at Indonesia's standard under Suharto. Another 10 years and we'll be
    touching the African standard. What a way to greet 2020.

Is there any hope for Malaysia?

Faced with the reality that BN will never change, many Malaysians
    desperate for change turn their lonely eyes to Anwar Ibrahim.

Pakatan Rakyat has promised to treat all races fairly, to plug
    wastage, fight corruption, reform the judiciary and make Malaysia more
    competitive.

But some have questioned whether we can trust Anwar and his loose
    coalition of disparate parties..

The question is not whether we can trust Anwar and Pakatan Rakyat but
    whether we can afford not to.

Can we afford another ten years of BN's misrule?

Thanks

Re: Malaysia - A Failed Nation

"saya xkata kerajaan kita tu bagus, tapi pembangkang kita,lebih "xbagus" dari kerajaan kita..."

so,can we afford to change the ruling party@side?????????

Thanks

well, thanks for those "$ kopi" and mr.g
    I'm full time gear head, yes i am... :D

Thanks

wat's written is so true...we are not creating enough wealth within the nation to counter actual and real market condition/forces. Malaysia pride itself tat it has converted from an agriculture based to manufacturing. But the real situation is that we are not just exporting products. We are so good in exporting human capital, so good in exporting the best thinkers and innovators and so good in exporting money abroad (legally or otherwise). Tat's why internally as a nation we are stagnant. The rest of the world has moved forward. Japan was totally destroyed after WWII but yet can emerged as one of the world top economies, Singapore was 'expelled' from Malaysia, has less resources and start as same base as us but it has propelled way above us. This is just to name a few and if we are not careful, Thailand and Vietnam would surpass us too in a very near future. Sorry to rant but tat's the sad case of us...... the saddest part is some are still living as katak di bawah tempurung and so unaware. Its like the katak tat's in the cold water that's slowly been heated up to boiling point. It doesn't know tat its in danger until its too late.

Racial politics has to go...malaysia has to rise up as malaysian. Subsidies has to give way to meritocracy if we want to move forward again to be one of the rising tigers of Asia.

Thanks

i think many of people already aware of this situation, i heard one of my friend ( now in Australia liao ) told me couple years ago that our country will slowly ended up like indonesia.... i doubt his word. but now it become reality.... sad. me as a example, i become field work engineer in 1990 and my wages at the time is around rm3000. and now.... if i become an engineer again and my salary still around Rm3000.... and somemore this a basic salary for experinced/senior engineer.... ( with the same skill in Singapore, you can easily gain SGD4k+ without any problem... ) and i have a Vietmamise friend as a engineer too, now she regret to work in malaysia while salary for engineer in vietman already as same at here recently..... hmmm... what going wrong with this country? as some 'high class officer' always tell us to love this country more... but, did thie country love us as well? doubt....

*some more lot of ppl didn't get more then rm2200. the rm3k salary is consider very lucky one.... wt heck???

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Its so sad that things are so bad. However, this is the only country that I've got and I cannot see myself ever emigrating to some promised land that so many people today have as an option. A great number of the people who constitute the present government are rotten through and through, and the ones who want to become the government are also no less rotten. The raakyat is also rotten, based on the fact that corruption is a two way process. If you refuse to offer inducements, how can there be corruption. Search your souls. How many of you have NOT been on either side of the corruption formula of a giver and a taker? That guy (gay?) on the other side who wants to be PM is no different from those who are currently in power. He was also part of the establishment at one time and participated fully in the people milking process. He wants so bad to become PM that he's prepared to go abroad to badmouth us, which seems to indicate that to him, the country's image is not important, so long as he gets to be PM, and when he's there, whats the guarantee that he wont revert to his old tarnished self? So whats the alternative?
    Yusuf Hashim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digitalartist View Post
    Its so sad that things are so bad. However, this is the only country that I've got and I cannot see myself ever emigrating to some promised land that so many people today have as an option. A great number of the people who constitute the present government are rotten through and through, and the ones who want to become the government are also no less rotten. The raakyat is also rotten, based on the fact that corruption is a two way process. If you refuse to offer inducements, how can there be corruption. Search your souls. How many of you have NOT been on either side of the corruption formula of a giver and a taker? That guy (gay?) on the other side who wants to be PM is no different from those who are currently in power. He was also part of the establishment at one time and participated fully in the people milking process. He wants so bad to become PM that he's prepared to go abroad to badmouth us, which seems to indicate that to him, the country's image is not important, so long as he gets to be PM, and when he's there, whats the guarantee that he
    wont revert to his old tarnished self? So whats the alternative?
    Very well said!

I am not to keen on having that accused-butt-lover (hehe) becoming PM (if he could as our current government would rather die that do that!).

Like what a friend of mine said, both are devils, current PM is a known devil, new PM will be an unknown devil.

Either way, we as the rakyat are pretty much screwed!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seethoe View Post
    wat's written is so true...we are not creating enough wealth within the nation to counter actual and real market condition/forces. Malaysia pride itself tat it has converted from an agriculture based to manufacturing. But the real situation is that we are not just exporting products. We are so good in exporting human capital, so good in exporting the best thinkers and innovators and so good in exporting money abroad (legally or otherwise). Tat's why internally as a nation we are stagnant. The rest of the world has moved forward. Japan was totally destroyed after WWII but yet can emerged as one of the world top economies, Singapore was 'expelled' from Malaysia, has less resources and start as same base as us but it has propelled way above us. This is just to name a few and if we are not careful, Thailand and Vietnam would surpass us too in a very near future. Sorry to rant but tat's the sad case of us...... the saddest part is some are still living as katak di bawah tempurung and so unaware. Its like the katak tat's in the cold water that's slowly been heated up to boiling point. It doesn't know tat its in danger until its too late.

Racial politics has to go...malaysia has to rise up as malaysian. Subsidies has to give way to meritocracy if we want to move forward again to be one of the rising tigers of Asia.
    True true, I have at least 3 former school mates who have migrated to Australia, all 3 are medical practitioners. I bet there are many more who have done so too.

Malaysia's losses are other countries gains...

PS: Does this means that I am pretty much the bottom of the barrel...no other countries want me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jesster View Post
    i think many of people already aware of this situation, i heard one of my friend ( now in Australia liao ) told me couple years ago that our country will slowly ended up like indonesia.... i doubt his word. but now it become reality.... sad. me as a example, i become field work engineer in 1990 and my wages at the time is around rm3000. and now.... if i become an engineer again and my salary still around Rm3000.... and somemore this a basic salary for experinced/senior engineer.... ( with the same skill in Singapore, you can easily gain SGD4k+ without any problem... ) and i have a Vietmamise friend as a engineer too, now she regret to work in malaysia while salary for engineer in vietman already as same at here recently..... hmmm... what going wrong with this country? as some 'high class officer' always tell us to love this country more... but, did thie country love us as well? doubt....

*some more lot of ppl didn't get more then rm2200. the rm3k salary is consider very lucky one.... wt heck???

Aighhh.....when I started working after graduation in 2001, my pay is RM 1800. When I interview fresh grads now...my company also offer them 1800 to 2k.

This picture seems so wrong!

Thanks

Its so sad that things are so bad. However, this is the only country that I've got and I cannot see myself ever emigrating to some promised land that so many people today have as an option. A great number of the people who constitute the present government are rotten through and through, and the ones who want to become the government are also no less rotten. The raakyat is also rotten, based on the fact that corruption is a two way process. If you refuse to offer inducements, how can there be corruption. Search your souls. How many of you have NOT been on either side of the corruption formula of a giver and a taker? That guy (gay?) on the other side who wants to be PM is no different from those who are currently in power. He was also part of the establishment at one time and participated fully in the people milking process. He wants so bad to become PM that he's prepared to go abroad to badmouth us, which seems to indicate that to him, the country's image is not important, so long as he gets to be PM, and when he's there, whats the guarantee that he wont revert to his old tarnished self? So whats the alternative?
    I raised my 2 legs to express agreement.

Thanks

I read this b4, I think the only way is do what ever is righteous to ourself & others, believe in it, and move forward.

Thanks

The grass is greener on the other side?

There are many who have voted with their feet and left, why am I still here?

It's because it's the country that I was born in and it's a place where I call home though I have gone to many other countries and have a look at their lifestyles and career advancement.

Call me anything but when I sing this aloud:

" NEGARAKU.....Tanah Tumpahnya Darahku..........

This is still my country.

If only the government of the day can rectify this malaise and we can move forward........TOGETHER.
    Saya Ipoh Mali...jom pergi tengok jetfynn.com

Thanks

I still have a copy of National Geographic from the late 1990s covering Malaysia.
    They painted Malaysia as a safe, fast developing, secular Islamic country, the rising star of South East Asia.

It's back in a dusty bookcase in my hometown, but I ought to scanned a copy of it and let you all have a read.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bkhong View Post
    Hi All,

This is from an email I receive.
    Please do note these are not my writings and not my stand.
    I thought this would be an interesting topic and also it's good to lift our eyes away from that viewfinder once in a while...

If this posting is considered offensive/political then I wouldn't mind removing it.

Good morning all,

Those who started work around 1973,
    a 1.3 Litre Japanese car was RM 7,000
    Today the equivalent let's say it is RM 60,000...........8.5 times

In 1973 a double storey house was about RM 45,000..or less
    Today it is about RM 300,000............6.6 times

In 1973 an Engineer's pay was RM 1,000
    Today it is about RM 2,000 +/-............2 times....

From 1973 to 2008........35 years......what is the Trend.?
    Bearish !!!!
    In a stock market when the trend is bearish , what do we do?..Exit !!!

When a country's trend is bearish what do we do?
    This Bearish trend is more difficult to turn around as compared to the
    stock market.

I have used these 3 items House, Car & Salary as a measurement of the country' s
    performance for the past 35 years....

There is a book I saw in MPH bookshop entitled :
    Malaysia: The Failed Nation
    some of you may be interested to read up.

I agreed with the writer.....

This morning I was having Coffee at McDonald ( now the coffee..100 %
    Arabica beans..is quite good@ RM 2.90....free refill !!. I asked how
    much per hour is their pay?
    RM 3.00 ! x 8 hours = RM 24 per day... x 25 days = RM 600 per month
    My daughter works part-time during her University days..she worked at
    Gloria Jeans Coffee
    ..the pay Australian $ 14.00 ( @ 3.15 = RM 44 per hour.....x 8 = RM
    352 per day !!! x 25 days = RM 8,800

13.3 times more !!!!! ......Price of houses in Perth is about the same in KL
    Price of cars are about 23 % cheaper...in Perth. ( Australia )

I think more and more people are becoming aware of this Bearish trend.
    Developed country by 2020?...means High income country
    Let's look at some as of year 2005 ( Financial Times )
    USA GNP per capita US$ 35,400
    UK GNP per capita US$ 25,510
    Australia GNP per capita US$ 19,530
    Singapore GNP per capita US $ 20,690
    These are developed countries by income measurement

Malaysia GNP per capita US$ 3,540
    Year 2020..developed country?

Really...a sad story.

Worrying Trends, isn't it??

Ringgit sliding further and further under BN

Gan | Jul 8, 2008 4:03pm

Recently, I interviewed some fresh graduates applying for jobs with my
    engineering company. I accepted two applicants on a starting salary of
    RM1,600. It struck me as odd that 15 years ago, I myself started work
    as a fresh graduate engineer for the same pay.

Indeed, if you compare the salaries of graduates now and 15 or even 20
    years ago, you'll find little difference but that their purchasing
    power is vastly different. It's the same story when you compare
    salaries of shop assistants, office staff, factory workers and others.

To compound the effect of inflation, the ringgit has depreciated
    greatly against all major currencies. The real income of most
    Malaysians has moved backwards.

This is why many Malaysians suffer under the petrol hike. The root of
    the problem is that our real incomes have shrunk in the face of
    inflation and depreciated currency.. Malaysians have not been spoiled
    by subsidy but are unable to move out of the time lock of stagnated
    and depreciated incomes.

If you compare the per capita incomes of Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan
    and South Korea, they are a few multiples of ours although at
    independence all these countries were the on the same economic level
    as Malaysia.

What has gone wrong? We were the rising star of East Asia, a country
    rich in natural resources with the most promising potential.

The reason is massive corruption, plundering of resources, wastage of
    funds for huge non- economic projects, anti-public interest deals with
    politically-linked companies and passing-of-the -buck to the man in
    the street..

Four decades of NEP where education, economic and employment policies
    are defined by race ensured that meritocracy took a back seat.

Our university standard has declined and the today best and brightest
    of our youth emigrate to escape the racial inequality only to
    contribute to the economies of foreign lands.

The reputation of our judiciary which was held in high esteem
    worldwide has sunk so low that foreign investors now insist on
    arbitration in Singapore in case of any dispute.

We also have a slew of oppressive laws such as the ISA, OSA, Uuca and
    PPPA which stifle free speech and are designed to keep the ruling
    parties in power.

We have become less attractive to foreign investors and now lag behind
    our neighbours in Asean for foreign direct investment. Even some
    corporations who have established themselves here are moving out.

All the economic and social malaise cannot help but affect the value
    of our currency. The strength of a country's currency is after all, a
    reflection of its fundamentals.

Furthermore, Bank Negara has a policy of weak ringgit to help
    exporters, never mind the burden on the common folk. The government is
    pro-corporation, not pro-rakyat.

While the poor and middle-class are squeezed, an elite group gets
    breathtakingly rich. We have the distinction of having the worse
    income disparity in Asean. A re-distribution of wealth is under way
    from the poor and middle-class to a select group of
    politically-connected elite.

The end result of this re-distribution will be a small group of
    super-rich while the majority are pushed into poverty and the
    middle-class shrinks. This is what happens when the rich gets richer
    and the poor gets poorer.

There is much that is wrong with Malaysia. The responsibility for
    pulling the country backwards can be laid squarely at the door of the
    ruling regime. It is BN's mis-governance, racial politics and culture
    of patronage which has seen the country regress economically and
    socially.

We seem to be sliding down a slippery slope, further down with each
    passing year of BN's rule. Another five years of BN rule and we'll be
    at Indonesia's standard under Suharto. Another 10 years and we'll be
    touching the African standard. What a way to greet 2020.

Is there any hope for Malaysia?

Faced with the reality that BN will never change, many Malaysians
    desperate for change turn their lonely eyes to Anwar Ibrahim.

Pakatan Rakyat has promised to treat all races fairly, to plug
    wastage, fight corruption, reform the judiciary and make Malaysia more
    competitive.

But some have questioned whether we can trust Anwar and his loose
    coalition of disparate parties..

The question is not whether we can trust Anwar and Pakatan Rakyat but
    whether we can afford not to.

Can we afford another ten years of BN's misrule?
    no thanks to our beloved mahteh.. a great leader! with vision and clearly know what is he doing, but did it the wrong way...

Thanks

Very well said! Totally second this statement. Words from deep from my heart.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bkhong View Post
    I still have a copy of National Geographic from the late 1990s covering Malaysia.
    They painted Malaysia as a safe, fast developing, secular Islamic country, the rising star of South East Asia.

It's back in a dusty bookcase in my hometown, but I ought to scanned a copy of it and let you all have a read.
    1000&#37; agreed with you! at that time i got many offer from aboard country and promise me a brilliant future! but i still decide to stay here. but ended up the country disapointed me....

Thanks

this is my homeland. good or bad, i'll be here. the cowards will leave the country at the very first sign of problem coz they think of themselves. well, i certainly don't want them to be here too.
    www.zuhriphotography.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zuhrie View Post
    this is my homeland. good or bad, i'll be here. the cowards will leave the country at the very first sign of problem coz they think of themselves. well, i certainly don't want them to be here too.
    we not cowards, is the country didn't appriciete our effort. mind your word.

Thanks

country (or a nation) and government are two DIFFERENT things.
    onestophoto.com/f64.org/morpheuse@twitter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jesster View Post
    we not cowards, is the country didn't appriciete our effort. mind your word.

Woah...cool down my friend!

I do agree it is not cowardice that makes the Rakyat migrate.

It is HOPE.

I've met many people in my travels, and a lot of them are immigrants, some legal, some not.

All have the same vision, to pursue a better life not for themselves but for their future generation.

Indeed, I have 2 engineer friends who are a couple in Texas Instruments in KL that are now washing dishes and waiting in a Chinese restaurants in UK.
    They didn't leave their comfortable job for menial jobs overseas just for the fun of it.

Another housemate of mine left after slaving away in EY for 6 years, to work as a secretary in UK for 2500 pounds a month...a fresh graduates pay over there.

It is because they believe that unless things change for the better, our government and country would not be able to provide or allow them the future that they seek.

Of course, we as the people are also to be blamed for allowing all this corruption, malaise to grow unchecked until this gigantic cancer is threatening to bring down Malaysia with it...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information