Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to Canon

Thanks

Back to Canon

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

Saw this on another site.. of coz entirely his own personal opinion... http://photofocus.com/showarchive.php?aid=80&cid=5

BACK TO CANON
    Scott Bourne is an award-winning photographer. His work has been published both nationally and internationally. He has taught workshops for several companies, been published in several magazines and is a pioneer in the digital imaging field, with particular expertise in Photoshop.
    http://www.scottbourne.com

By Scott Bourne

Editorial

This is a story about a professional photographer (me) who spent most of his career shooting with Canon cameras and then, when presented with an opportunity to shoot Nikons for free, switched to Nikon. And now for something completely different….

I am switching back! And I am paying to do it!

While I appreciate the generosity of Bill Fortney at Nikon and his willingnessto provide me with free Nikon camera gear, I am sending it back. Now mindyou, Nikon doesn't actually SPONSOR photographers. They provide consignments.Certain pros get the camera gear for a year and at the end of the yearreturn it or buy it at a greatly reduced price.

I am returning my Nikon gear. I won't be asking for a new consignment andhave decided that even though the below wholesale prices for the gear Ihave are attractive, they don't warrant a permanent change. Here's why:

IMAGE STABILIZATION
    While Nikon has started building lenses with vibration reduction (VR), (similar to Canon's Image Stabilization IS) they don't make any super telephotos in the 500-600mm range with VR. This is a problem for me since I like to photograph birds and animals. Even though I use the big glass on a Wimberley Head, I still need IS to help steady the shot. With the extreme magnification of a 600mm lens, you see every wobble or wiggle. Since Nikon seems to have abandoned this market to Canon (for now) I have no choice but to switch.

OTHER LENS ISSUES
    Almost all Canon lenses have built in motors. The USM in the name of a Canon lens stands for Ultra Sonic Motor. This saves battery life and allows for quicker more silent focus. Only a handful of Nikon lenses offer this feature, and they do so at a steep premium. Canon also offers a wider variety of lenses.

GENERAL DIGITAL ISSUES
    The new Canon 10D offers a slightly sharper image than the rival D100. I assume it is because of the in-camera processing used by Canon. The Canon also offers a neat little feature that knows when you've rotated the camera and it rotates the image right along side. Now why didn't I think of that?

CCD
    While most Nikon digital cameras are made using Charged Coupled Devices CCDs, most Canon cameras (except the 1D) are made using Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor CMOS technology. CMOS does not attract nearly as much dust as a CCD and I'd rather spend the time shooting instead of cleaning the sensor. The CMOS sensor also offers a warmer picture. And while the picture from the Nikon's CCD can easily be adjusted in Photoshop, I'd rather get it as close to the way I like it in the camera.

FLASH
    Another problem I have with the Nikon is its flash. On the D1X and less so on the D100, I found the DTTL (Nikon's automatic flash through the lens metering) to be horrible. I'd either get extremely washed out shots or shots that had so little illumination that I couldn't see the subject. This may be fixed in the new Nikon flash but why wait? I also like the Canon flagship flash's ability to remotely sync with other flashes and to set manual ratios such as three-to-one or four-to-one. Nikon has announced a flash with this ability but has not announced aship date.

COST
    The Nikon cameras cost more than the Canon cameras. In addition, you haveto buy software and AC adapters with the Nikon that come free with theCanon. Granted, the Canon software sucks when compared with Nikon's Capture,but it is free.

MISCELLANEOUS
    Call me old fashioned, but I like to screw my lenses on clockwise and offcounter clockwise. Almost all camera manufacturers design their lensesto screw on that way. But not Nikon. No matter how hard I tried, I couldnever get used to it. And the metering? Well that's backwards too. Forthe life of me I can't see how Nikon users get used to an exposure compensationsystem that reads plus to the left and minus to the right. It is very counterintuitive. Battery life is also a problem with the Nikons. In my empirical tests, the Canons get about 15-20% better battery life.

NIKON ISN'T BAD
    I am switching because for me, it is the right thing to do. But that doesn'tmean that I don't think Nikon makes a great camera. All modern camerassold today are pretty darn good and the Nikons are no exception. They getthe upper-hand over Canon in some ergonomics. I also like the D100s abilityto paint grid lines on your viewfinder at a touch of a button. The NikonDX lenses are cool ideas that allow digital shooters to make affordablequality wide-angle lens shots.

CONCLUSION
    I am buying the Canon gear. I just feel like I need to use the tool that suits me best. All of the camera manufacturers want us to believe that their camera will make us a star. But at the end of the day, it's not the camera that makes the photograph. It is the photographer that makes the photograph. Which camera is right for you? It depends. For me, it's the Canon.

Thanks

Re: Back to Canon.

he done the right decision

Thanks

Each to his own ways. Everybody has their own perspective =D

btw, when he wrote this?

i thought 500-600mm range with VR was annouced in apr 2001,no?
    Last edited by wasabi; 08-11-2005 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    Each to his own ways. Everybody has their own perspective =D

btw, when he wrote this?

i thought 500-600mm range with VR was annouced in apr 2001,no?
    The longest Nikon prime lens with VR is the 300mm f2.8. The 200-400mm f4 has VR but that's a zoom.

If he has to make a living from photography and need the super-long lenses, then he's entitled to do what need to be done. How many of us need the 400mm f2.8 VR?? Or rather can we afford those long VR lens? So the article becomes irrelevent for us mere mortals!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

no doubt Nikon is a bit left behind in technology...but slowly catching up.

Now Nikon has many AFS lenses, and their AFS is truely REAL TIME MANUAL OVERIDE as compare to Canon non-real time.

VR wise...we should be able to see the 400 2.8VR soon...
    Dr Koh Kho King
    Wise men still seek Him!
    www.shashinki.com - Malaysia's First & Largest Online Camera Shop!

Thanks

I think I've seen this article about 2 years back. Things have progressed since then.

Still to each, his own.

chien

Thanks

[QUOTE=khoking]Now Nikon has many AFS lenses, and their AFS is truely REAL TIME MANUAL OVERIDE as compare to Canon non-real time.QUOTE]

What is Real Time Manual Overide?

Thanks

[QUOTE=macgyver]
    Quote Originally Posted by khoking
    Now Nikon has many AFS lenses, and their AFS is truely REAL TIME MANUAL OVERIDE as compare to Canon non-real time.QUOTE]

What is Real Time Manual Overide?
    In autofocus mode, you can just use your hand and overide it to manual focus by turning the focus ring without resorting to any AF or M switch.

Thanks

did he have to tell everyone he switched?! Loser!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sisterlance
    did he have to tell everyone he switched?! Loser!
    Who is the loser?

Thanks

Scott of course.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Initiald]
    Quote Originally Posted by macgyver

In autofocus mode, you can just use your hand and overide it to manual focus by turning the focus ring without resorting to any AF or M switch.
    This feature also available in some Canon lenses.
    I wonder why KK mentioned otherwise...

Thanks

Scott of course.
    You mean the pro guy is the loser and the other one that trying to be a pro is not!

Thanks

But look at this, he failed to get any awards after the switch to Canon.

Any one interested at my old Rollei? I too thinking of a switch to Canon; after taking photos and not wining any awards for the past 25 years, damn the Rollei....

Thanks

"But at the end of the day, it's not the camera that makes the photograph. It is the photographer that makes the photograph."

and Scott switched because?......loser.

Thanks

It must be a old article as the author is comparing 10D and D100, Anyway everyone has one's own shooting habit and each brand has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks

"But at the end of the day, it's not the camera that makes the photograph. It is the photographer that makes the photograph."

and Scott switched because?......loser.
    ...and we are all here are winners.

And again why we are winners and scott losers?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am switching back! And I am paying to do it!
    he was paid to write the article I bet...
    Dr Koh Kho King
    Wise men still seek Him!
    www.shashinki.com - Malaysia's First & Largest Online Camera Shop!

Thanks

sellout, no doubt
    www.facebook.com/TheCentreForAsianPhotographers

Thanks

and the point of this thread is?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information