Thread: How to trace owner of a handphone number?

Thanks

How to trace owner of a handphone number?

Advertise here
    photomalaysia@gmail.com

Dear Forummers,

An acquaintance of mine have been receiving a few nasty sms from a few handphone numbers. These messages are really viscious and downright disgusting.

Is there a way to find out who the numbers belong to? I know sometimes upon registering the pre-paid numbers people simply put down anybody's name and the seller wouldnt even care. But its a start.

Any advice?

Thanks

Re: How to trace owner of a handphone number?

AFAIK, an individual can't trace. The mobile operators can since they have the records/registrations. But only the law has the authority to authorize a trace. So make a police report, and let them look into it.

Thanks

Thanks bro. I think that would be the best course of action.

Thanks

If you are using a PDA phone (Windows Mobile based) like HTC, Asus etc, you can easily download a block calls/sms software. Those messages will never reach you. Ignorance can be bliss. Plus you do not have to keep changing phone numbers, and spare yourself the inconvenience of telling everybody of your new number or missed important calls etc.

But I've never tested the software myself (never had the need), so I don't know if the sender will know that their sms did not reach the recipient (causing the sender to think you have changed your number), or the sender will think their sms got through (but the phone software deleted/blocked it). In the second case, the sender may keep sending thinking that you are still reading their nasty messages. So you might want to give different software a try to suit your need.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I received spam to my handphone from time to time, just ignore and delete it. Don't spend time blocking it, useless.
    Dr Koh Kho King
    Wise men still seek Him!
    www.shashinki.com - Malaysia's First & Largest Online Camera Shop!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amirulbahri View Post
    Dear Forummers,

An acquaintance of mine have been receiving a few nasty sms from a few handphone numbers. These messages are really viscious and downright disgusting.

Is there a way to find out who the numbers belong to? I know sometimes upon registering the pre-paid numbers people simply put down anybody's name and the seller wouldnt even care. But its a start.

Any advice?
    I have a female friend also received such sms from one person.
    Made police report, and police asked her to try and bait the caller, like being friendly and things like that.
    I think that person sense it and stop disturbing her.
    Anyway, get the hp of the police incharge, anything your friend can direct contact the police. that what my friend did.

Thanks

report to Police or contact Suruhanjaya Komunikasi Multimedia Malaysia (cyberjaya)
    they will check for u the contact number

Thanks

i received mms from MAXIS some stoopid promo and when i view the mms i have to pay for the download for their nonsense ads. becareful.

Thanks

You can actually call your mobile operator to block everything....they can even selectively block sms by their source number.

Historically, I was so angry with the spam SMS. They are SMS about new friend invitation and each SMS is billed to me. I called Maxis why this is happening. They said it probably was because I subscribed to some spam website. They helped me to set up the block at their end. Smartly and amazingly, those block blocked out those bad sms but leaving sms from maxis or from the banks still pass through.
    William Tay
    Happy moments,PRAISE GOD>Difficult moments,SEEK GOD>Quiet moments,WORSHIP GOD>Painful moments,TRUST GOD>Every moment,THANK GOD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlarr View Post
    If you are using a PDA phone (Windows Mobile based) like HTC, Asus etc, you can easily download a block calls/sms software. Those messages will never reach you. Ignorance can be bliss. Plus you do not have to keep changing phone numbers, and spare yourself the inconvenience of telling everybody of your new number or missed important calls etc..
    Good idea. I use one on my iphone.. and it work as advertised. Pretty handy tool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khoking View Post
    I received spam to my handphone from time to time, just ignore and delete it. Don't spend time blocking it, useless.
    I dont think blocking it is "spending time". You just do it once and then you save yourself the time and trouble deleting unwanted sms etc. Its fine if you receive only 1 or 2.. but when its too much, its a nuisance.

Thanks

Talking Re: How to trace owner of a handphone number?

Quote Originally Posted by kamarul View Post
    I dont think blocking it is "spending time". You just do it once and then you save yourself the time and trouble deleting unwanted sms etc. Its fine if you receive only 1 or 2.. but when its too much, its a nuisance.
    I using delete "message folder" most of the time, save a lot of time !!
    I don't keep my sms.. just delete all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RODNEYY View Post
    I using delete "message folder" most of the time, save a lot of time !!
    I don't keep my sms.. just delete all
    Can do that too!

But if receive important data/info all the time by sms.. you keep them there for easy reference. (And you have date record too). I have probably 2/3000 sms in my inbox that i keep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    I have a female friend also received such sms from one person.
    Made police report, and police asked her to try and bait the caller, like being friendly and things like that.
    I think that person sense it and stop disturbing her.
    Anyway, get the hp of the police incharge, anything your friend can direct contact the police. that what my friend did.
    Great idea by the police

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khoking View Post
    Receiving spam once a week or once a month is different, compared to receiving nasty sms from unwanted person everyday or multiple times a day. Receiving the nasty sms is already annoying, and even though you ignore it, you still have to manually delete every sms, and sometimes you'll catch glimpse of the message through the preview, which then makes you angry some more, and may even ruin your day.

Installing a block software only takes less than 1 minute and that's it. Peace of mind of the that.

And another thing, we are all here to give ideas and suggestions to help our friend who have this problem. You can give yours, but there is no need to say other people's suggestion is "useless". That's just plain rude.

Thanks

Commercial spam? just delete lah. Personal attack? Just lodge police report lah.

Block? no need lah. Except if you're a very well known / very rich tycoon whereby commercial spams reach your hp every single hour, then block lah.

However from the random 5 figures commercial SMS blasting service number rendered to various types of businesses, well.. just imagine how many numbers we need to block.

My 2 cents.

Thread Information